We’ve finally uploaded our video on how to build a homemade hydroponic tower. If you’ve ever wanted to know how to build a homemade hydroponic system that is fairly easy and inexpensive, this video is definitely for you.
We got some inspiration from the videos below when we were figuring out how to build a homemade vertical system to grow some lettuce and herbs in our backyard.
Check them out:
Vertical hydroponic garden for beginners can be cheaper than you think. We spent about 0 on this set-up, which includes the PVC pipes, pump, net cups, clay pebbles and rock wool cubes. We had our own drills, torch, saws and silicone already at home when we started building our vertical hydroponic garden.
We ordered the net cups, rock wool, water pump and clay pebbles for our grow tower from Grow It All in Toronto, Ontario. (Great customer service!)
– 2 inch net cups
– 10 lb clay pebbles (way too much for what we needed)
– Small rock wool cubes
– Active Aqua submersible pump 291 gpm (gallons per minute) *** This was probably more power than we needed for this set up. We keep the pump on pretty low and the water flow is just fine
For our DIY hydroponics, we got our large and small PVC pipes and the bucket from Home Depot.
– 5 gallon bucket and lid
– 4 inch PVC pipe (outer)
– 1/2 inch PVC pipe (inner, but get whichever size will fit the spout of your pump)
– Cap to fit on the 4 inch PVC pipe
*** Pipes were both cut to about 5 feet tall. This will ensure the inner pipe actually sticks up above the outer pipe into the cap with the holes.
Have you ever thought of making your own garden tower?
Please help me grow my vegan community and keep these videos coming by subscribing to my channel and hitting that notification button!
Follow me on social media!
This is our DIY Hydroponic Vertical Tower. This is a great way to get a bunch of plants in a small area, which is perfect city living. It’s also portable so with the proper grow lights it can work indoors as well. All around a great garden solution for renters, like us! In this video we will show you how we put together tower. This is our first time making a hydroponic garden, but we were really happy with how it came out! We referenced 2 videos and we’ve linked them below. The first video we followed for the general construction of the tower, but we like the idea of creating the openings from the pipe rather than drill holes down the pipe and glueing on smaller pipes for the net cups to sit in. We’ve also linked all the items we used below. If you have any questions feel free to reach out and let us know what you think in the comments! Happy planting! =]
– Heat Gun
– Drill ( 1/4″ and 3/4″ drill bit)
– 5 gal. food grade bucket: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_THANKYOU-_-V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL&ecc_ord=WA88288924
– (2) 5 gal. lids: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-Gal-Reusable-Bucket-Lid-6GLDBLK30/202264045?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_THANKYOU-_-V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL&ecc_ord=WA88288924
– 1/2″ BPA free tubing: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGTB50GF-2-Inch-Black-Tubing/dp/B0079QUTSQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3FLNV698605UH&dchild=1&keywords=hydrofarm+hgtb50gf+1%2F2-inch+black&qid=1593980600&sprefix=hydrofarm+hgt%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-1
– reflectix insulation: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R-21-33-3-sq-ft-Unfaced-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-16-in-W-x-25-ft-L/1014123
– 4″ HDPE pipe (10ft): https://www.lowes.com/pd/4-in-x-10-ft-Corrugated-Solid-Pipe/3221927
– 4″ HDPE collar: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-4-in-Dia-Corrugated-Snap-Coupler-Fitting/3514698
– 4″ HDPE cap: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-4-in-Dia-Corrugated-Cap-Fitting/3133127
– 1/2″ barbed-T: https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-2-in-Barbed-Tee-Fitting/1000505103
– 4″ U bracket: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-4-in-Galvanized-2-hole-Pipe-Strap/1001149318
– (2) 2″ screws
– (2) nuts
– Timer: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digital-Programmable-Packaging-Security/dp/B00MVF16JG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=15W7VCTPQXOVX&dchild=1&keywords=bn-link+7+day+heavy+duty+digital+programmable+timer&qid=1593980540&sprefix=bn-link+7+day%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5OE5SRUJGU1FaTzQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NDcwODczMDAxQUJPNVFDRDAmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDIxMDE2NTJLSDcyUDBFT0VQMkwmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
– submersible air pump: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Aqua-Submersible-Water/dp/B003UXBGTI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NG39G2W6C4VJ&dchild=1&keywords=hydrofarm+active+aqua+air+pump&qid=1593980564&sprefix=hydrofarm+active%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-5
– 2″ net cups: https://www.amazon.com/HAZOULEN-Garden-Plastic-Cups-Pots/dp/B06XJ2G6FS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=SGIMZ58JP88K&dchild=1&keywords=hazoulen+garden+plastic+net+cups+pots%2C+3+inch%2C+set+of+15&qid=1593980646&sprefix=hazoulen+garde%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2